Monday, October 13, 2008

Dorby Den! Czech it! Praha installment #3!

So this last post on my trip to Prague is a few days late....

but I eventually met up with Caitlin and her friend, Kate, and we had an awesome full day! We walked the Charles Street Bridge early in the morning before it was crowded with tourists and it was still really foggy out which made it a most picturesque sight! Next we wandered more crazy beautiful streets (it's so so clean and every building has such unique architecture) and then we went to Prague Castle! We also went inside the cathedral behind the castle which had some of the most vividly colored stained glass I have seen so far in Europe (Bohemia after all is famous for it's colored class and Bohemian crystal). After touring the Castle and such we ate lunch at this cute little Czech restaurant and asked the waitress for the most authentic Czech cuisine they had. So basically the traditional Czech meal is Pork soaked in some sort of wine sauce with dumplings and this stuff that's sort of like sour kraut.

After that we found another one of Prague's incredible parks with sweeping views. We hiked up a hill with winding stone paths covered with autumn leaves until we reached a tower at the top. Up here there is the 'Hungry Wall' and a mirror maze that we went into.

Later in the day we explored more of the other park that I went to on my first day in Prague, then we went on the bridge some more and heard some live music, and went to this really neat Czech market. We walked around late into the night, enjoying the sights, sounds, smells of this incredible city! Oh and we had free glasses of wine that night which was quite enjoyable and was a relaxing way to top off an exhausting day.

The next morning we woke up early, ate breakfast at the hostel and checked out, then did a tour of the Jewish quarters of the city and it was amazing. We bought tickets that allowed us to enter different synagogues and the Jewish cemetery which was one of my favorite things that I saw here. The graves were a jumped chaotic mess of stones covered with ivy and moss in a tree covered area in the middle of the Jewish quarters surrounded by high ivy-covered walls. It was a beautifully sad sight and very moving.

The Jewish Quarter was the final thing I got to see in Prague because it was then time for me to depart from Caitlin and Kate and catch my flight and return to Milan.

So I'm back in Milan now and I had classes earlier today, and I am already thinking about the adventures planned for the weeks ahead! To give you guys a heads up.....expect blogs in the future on my adventures in Croatia and Serbia, Switzerland, Amsterdam, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Spain, Denmark and Sweden. Ahhh crazy. Travels every weekend! I will return to the States a changed person for sure and this has truly been the experience of a lifetime!

ciao my friends! I miss you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dani! I just found your blog, and I'm mucho excited, have a great rest of the time in Italy :)