Friday, May 30, 2008

blast from the past

So today I went back to high school, sort of.

My good friend, Caitlin, who goes to the University of Redlands, has a mother who was our AP environmental science teacher our senior year of high school. She invited us into class today so that Caitlin could give a brief overview of her time spent in Rwanda for her May term, and so that she, I, and Rachel, also a Redlands student and Caitlin's friend, could talk to the students about what to expect from college life, socially, classes, if we're studying abroad, etc.

Caitlin's trip to Rwanda sounded facinating and she touched on issues of cultural differences, environmentalism, industry, gender equality, the genocide, etc. that she encoutnered there. She also had some wicked pictures with enormous gorillas.

But being back in the high school class environment was bizarre yet so familiar. It was a rally day at San Ramon High, and the Aloha dance is happening tonight, events that as a senior in high school were such a huge deal to me and very emotional. I'm stunned to be a junior in college now, an upper classmen. My life is moving at a frightening pace, and I want to know how I can slow it down, harness time, and live to the fullest while I'm still a "youth". Though San Ramon has gone through tremendous structural changes (old buildings torn down, new impressive facilities now built) but the students seem exactly the same. Everything about their demenor, their sense of humor, their overly make-uped faces scream of my high school days. It's both bizarre and kind of neat to see how far I've come.

And teachers apparently still say that the class of '06 was one of SRV's best ever....

Enough nostalgia.

laters blog nerds.

No comments: